So for the security conscious person, they will want to install something better then what comes with the OS. In the past, I have recommended the free version of ZoneAlarm. Although, now I have found something better. It's called the 'Comodo Firewall', and best of all its free.
Below is a list of some of the features of this firewall:
- Application Component Authentication: validates all the components of an application before allowing it internet access.
- Application Behavior Analysis: analyzes each application's behavior and detects any suspicious activity before allowing internet access.
- Defense against Trojan Protocols: advanced protocol driver level protection
- Smart Alerts: Every alert includes a Security Consideration section with advice to users.
- And several more. Check out the web site for the complete list of features.