If you want to know how to prevent Windows Update from performing this automatic reboot, follow the instructions below.
Note: This tip requires modifying the Windows Registry so proceed with ]caution, use it at your own risk.
- Open the Windows Registry Editor, from the Search field under the Start menu, type "REGEDIT" and press the Enter key.
- Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU (note: you might need to manually create some of these keys.)
- Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New > DWORD value.
- Name the new value NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
- Set the value in the field to 1, press the OK button.
- Close the registry editor when you're done.