Do you leave your computer on for extended periods of time, and would like it if your computer would automatically shut down at a specific time of day. Follow the instructions below.
- Click the Start button, in the search box, type "scheduled tasks" then click the item in the search results.
- In the Task Scheduler console, in the Actions pane on the right, click "Create Basic Task ...".
- In the Basic Task Wizard dialog, enter a name for task, such as "Shutdown Computer" and include a optional description such as "Shuts down computer at 12:00 a.m. everyday", press the Next button.
- On the Task Trigger page, select "Daily" and press the Next button.
- On the Daily page, enter a start date and time that you want the task to first begin (e.g. 12/1/11 and 12:00 a.m.) and press the Next button.
- On the Action page, select the "Start a Program" and press the Next button.
- On the Start a Program page, in the Program/script field, type: %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\SHUTDOWN.EXE
- Press the Next button, review the Summary page and press the Finish button.
Based on the task that was defined above Windows will now automatically shut down at 12:00 a.m. each day. Although before it does the system will display a pop-up notification, "Windows will shut down in less than a minute."