To backup the EFS key, use the following procedure:
- From the Start menu in the Search field, type CERTMGR.MSC, then press the ENTER key to open the Certificate Manager.
- Expand the Personal node, and click Certificates.
- Scroll down to find the certificate that shows "Encrypting File System" in the Intended Purposes column, and click it.
- Click Actions > All Tasks > Export...
- On the first page of the Export Wizard, press the Next button.
- Click Yes, export the private key and press the Next button.
- Click Personal Information Exchange and press the Next button.
- Create a password to encrypt the private key file, then press the Next button.
- Enter a file name and location (or press the Browse button to navigate the local drives) to store the certificate.
- Press the Finish button.
Notes: In the Certificate Manager if there is more than one EFS certificate make sure to back them all up on some type of removable media (such as a USB key or external hard drive). Then store that device in a safe physical location.