Microsoft has released a great tool for monitoring and diagnosing problems with your network communication. The tool is called, the 'Port Reporter tool'. This tool runs as a service on Windows 2000, XP and 2003, and it logs the TCP and UDP port activity on your local computer.
Below is a brief list of some of the information the tool logs:
- The ports/protocols that are being used
- Which processes are using specific ports
- If a specific process is related to a service
- The user account that the process is running under.
- The modules (i.e. DLL files) that are being used by the process.