- This is an advanced user tip because it involves modifying the Windows registry. Modifying the registry can be risky, so be sure to have a good backup of your system before making any changes to it. This tip like all tips are use at your own risk.
- This software requires that you have Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 installed on it, and .NET v2.0.
Microsoft recently released a new version of the Microsoft Management Console (MMC). The MMC application provides a flexible framework that software vendors can write modules (called 'snap-ins') for managing applications and hardware on local or remote servers.
The new MMC v3.0 was originally developed for Window Vista, but Microsoft is also making it available for Windows XP. Some of the new features of the MMC include a new interface design and a better method of managing the snap-ins.
To install the MMC v3.0, follow the instructions below:
- Download the MMC v3.0 from the Microsoft Download Center.
- Find the executable you downloaded and run it, this will start the installation wizard. Just follow the instructions.
To enable the new user interface, you have to modify the registry:
- Launch the Registry Editor (from the Run... command type "regedit.exe" and press Enter key).
- Find the following key in the left pane: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC.
- Right-click the MMC subkey and select New > Key.
- Type UseNewUI and press the Enter key.
- Close the Registry Editor.
To launch the new MMC, from the Run... command under the Start menu type: "mmc.exe" and press the Enter key. From here you can utilize the new 'Add or Remove Snap-ins' dialog.