Some people hate the Task view because it consumes too much screen space that can be used for other things, such as displaying more icons. Personally I really like the Explorer view, this view allows you to quickly access files by expanding and contracting folders by pressing the plus (+) or minus (-) icons next to these icons.
To make My Computer default to the Explorer view instead of the Tasks view, follow the instructions below:
- From the Start menu open 'My Computer'.
- From the Tools menu, select 'Folder Options...'
- Click the 'File Types' tab.
- In the 'Registered file types' list, find the item that says '(NONE) Folder' and click on it.
- Press the Advanced button.
- Click 'Explore' in the 'Actions list'.
- Press the 'Set Default' button.
- Press the OK button.
- Press the Close button.