By default the Device Manager will hide the following devices: Non-Plug and Play (non-PnP) printers and drivers, and Devices that were attached to your computer at one-time, but have been disconnected (AKA 'non-present devices').
- From the Start Menu, select the Run... command.
- Type "devmgmt.msc" and press the Enter key.
- In the Device Manager, from the View menu select 'Show hidden devices'.
To view the previously attached devices:
- Add the following user or system environment variable to your system (see the following tip for instructions on how to do this):
- In the New User or System Variable dialog box, in the 'Variable name' field, type "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES", and in the 'Variable value' box, type "1".
- Open the Device Manager, from the View menu select 'Show hidden devices'.