These applications will help protect your computer, and fulfill the software requirements of different web sites.
1. Protect Thy Self (online)
There are a few things that you need to do to protect yourself while your online.
- Visit Windows Update, download and install the latest hot fixes and services packs
- Make sure you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Install anti-virus software, and update signature files.
- Install anti-spyware software, and update signature files.
After you have your system protected, its a good idea to install some of the following applications. Web sites use these applications to enhance the browsing experience.
- Sun's Java VM
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (When you install this software, watch the options it gives you very carefully or you could end of getting some additional software you didn't know you were going to get.)
- Macromedia Flash
- Windows Media Player
- Apple Quicktime (Just be aware that its going to install iTunes whether you want it or not.)
- Windows XP PowerToys (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5)
- Real Player (This application used to be on my required list of software. Although, 99% of the time I don't use it anymore. If you do install it, watch the options it gives you very carefully or you could end of getting some additional software you won't expect.)