Below is a brief explanation of the different types of views that are available:
- Filmstrip: Displays thumbnail previews of your images, documents and folders with a special viewer which enlarges selected images for easier previewing. (This option is only available with folders that contain viewable images.)
- Thumbnails: Displays thumbnail previews of your images, documents and folders. (Generally documents and folders will display be displayed as large icons.)
- Tiles: Puts the icons into columns. The number of columns of icons will increase, depending on the size of the window.
- Icons: Displays one icon next to the other icon.
- List: Displays all the icons in a top-down list.
- Detail: Displays relevant file information (such as: name, size, date created/modified, etc.) for each file is a list format. (IMHO: My personal favorite.)
- Open 'My Computer' under the Start menu.
- From the View menu, select the view that you want to use (such as: Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List and Detail).
Another great option is the 'Show in Groups', this will group items that are similar based on the 'Arrange By' option you selected. For example, if you selected to arrange icons by Type (such as: executables, text files, configuration files, etc...), then selected the option 'Show in Groups'. All the files of a specific type will all be grouped together.
Note: The 'Arrange By' and 'Show in Groups' options are available under the View menu in the Windows Explorer.