System requirements: a computer with floppy drive, and Windows XP installed, and a 3.5" floppy disk that can be formatted.
- Insert a floppy into the disk drive, that you want to format. Warning: All the data on this disk will be destroyed.
- Launch the Windows Explorer (In the Start Menu, click on 'My Computer').
- Right-click the floppy drive icon, and select the Format option.
- A Format dialog will be displayed
- The following options can be set in the Format dialog:
- Capacity: Specifies the capacity of the floppy that you are formatting (1.44MB is the default).
- File System: Specifies the file system for floppy (FAT is the default)
- Allocation Unit Size: Leave at 'Default allocation size' unless you have a reason to change it.
- Volume Label: Enter a label for yourfloppy disk if you want.
- Quick Format: Check this option to quickly format disks that were previously formatted.
- Create an MS-DOS startup disk: Check this option to copy system files to make the floppy bootable
- Press the Start button to begin formatting the disk.
- Some floppy will not format due to media errors, if this happens you will have to insert another disk.
- If your computer's hard drive is formatted with NTFS, you can not use this system disk to access the local file system.