To change the default file type icon do the following:
- Open the Windows Explorer or the My Computer icon in the Start menu.
- From the Tools menu, select 'Folder Options...'
- Click on the File Types tab, this will display a list of all of the file extensions installed on your computer.
- From the list select the extension for which you want to change the icon, then press the Advanced button.
- Press the 'Change Icon...' button.
- From the new dialog that displayed, select the icon you want to use or press the Browse... button to select a file that has an icon that you want to use.
- Press the OK buttons to save your changes.